Department of Skin, VD & Leprosy
Department of Dermatology, Venerology, and Leprosy came into existence in 1951 under the chairmanship of Late Prof. Dr. M. P. Mathur. It was subsequently headed by Dr. S.M. Mathur (1971-1978), Dr. Rishi Bhargava (1978-1979), Dr. N. K. Mathur (1979-2001), Dr. V. N. Saxena (2001-2007 for a brief period), Dr. S. R. Shukla (2001-2006), Dr. Dinesh Mathur (2007-2011), Dr. U. S. Agarwal (2011-2015), Dr. C. M. Kuldeep(2015-2018) and Dr. Deepak K. Mathur (2018 onwards).
The department is located in a separate block, Charakh Bhawan, in SMS Hospital at JLN Marg. Subsequent to the mass awareness campaigns and availability of specialists of the field, the OPD number has risen from hundreds to an average yearly OPD of >3 lakh patients.
The bed occupancy of inpatients has also increased. We have specialized care for immunobullous diseases and drug reaction patients. There are 30 beds each in male and female ward.
The department is now equipped with a state of the art Laser Clinic with CO2, Nd: Yag and Diode lasers. Also many surgeries are being performed in the department.
Our beloved Prof. Dr. U. S. Agarwal became the principal of SMS Medical College in 2015, first from Dermatology department, and had a remarkable term in the office.
We are privileged to have the highest number of faculties working in our department. Our faculty has innumerable publications in national and international journals. A lot of research work is being done in our department for years with great success. Also our faculty is participating in various national and international academic meetings as speakers.
Achievements of the Department
A) New interventions introduced by our department
1. Jaipur block for post herpetic neuralgia by Dr. Rishi Bhargava.
2. Ear sign in tinea capitis by Dr. U. S. Agarwal.
3. Panatrophy of Gowers, a rare disease first introduced by our department.
4. Role of zinc in macrophage function in leprosy patient demonstrated by the department.
5. Punch grafting introduced by the department in the field of vitiligo surgery.
6. Low dose isotretinoin therapy in acne.
7. Combination chemotherapy in skin disorders.
1. Rangnathan Memorial Award 1992, received by Dr. U. S. Agarwal.
2. Sher-E-Kashmir Mohammad Abdullah Award received four times by Dr. U. S. Agarwal.
3. MGM Medical College prize & Dr. S Premalatha Award by Dr. Puneet Agarwal
1. International Conference
International conference of Dermatopathology and Annual meeting of Dermatopathology society of India 15th to 17th November, 2013 at Jaipur.
2. National Conferences
Under the guidance of our renowned faculty Dr. Rishi Bhargava, Dr. N. K. Mathur, Dr. Dinesh Mathur, Dr. U. S. Agarwal, Dr. C. M. Kuldeep and Dr. Deepak K. Mathur, national conference DERMACON in 1990 and 2012 was conducted with success.
3. State conferences
Various state conferences, CMEs and workshops have been organized by the department for the dissemination of knowledge.