Community Medicineis the branch of medicine that deals with community rather than individual. Community Medicine is the science that concerns with the promotion of health, prevention, control, and management of diseases, disabilities, and other health problems in the community.Finally the inclusion of the spiritual dimension in the strategy for health for all calls for a holistic approach not only to health and disease but to life itself with a focus on “Positive Health” and “Wellness”.Epidemiology, Statistics, Health Management including Planning; Monitoring/ Surveillance; and Evaluation, Communication and Leadership and Social Medicine are its basic disciplines. It helps undergraduates to understand existing socio-demographic and economic profiles, health systems, community dynamics, principles of equitable distribution, community participation, appropriate technology and inter-sectoral co-ordination for finding solutions to mankind’s health problems.
The department at the medical college is equipped with a Museum, well stocked library, lab, Demonstration room and Seminar room.Department has facility for training medical undergraduate students with the overall objective of community sensitization and participation for ‘Health for All’.This will be achieved through lectures, practical, demo, tutorials, seminars and most unique of all, visits to institutes/health facilities of Public Health importance in and around Sikar.The department is also pursuing its own research activities. The department is actively involved in ‘Rapid Response’ activities in COVID-19 pandemic and contact tracing activities. Department is also involved in trainings to the doctors and paramedical staff regarding COVID-19 in Sikar district and IEC activities.
Training and Research units attached:
1. Urban Health Training Centre (UHTC):Dispensary-2, Kayastha Nagar, sikar
· Population covered: 50,000
· Distance from medical college: 5 KM
· Daily OPD: 130/day
· MCH care including vaccination / General OPD/ family care/ National health programme activities
2. Rural Health Training Centre (RHTC): CHC, Piparali, Sikar
· Population covered: 20423
· Distance from medical college: 16 KM
· Daily OPD: 200/day
· MCH care including intra natal care & vaccination/ General OPD/ family care/ National health programme activities