1) Body Donation
Cadaveric dissection is the integral part of the undergraduate teaching of all medical colleges. Post graduate students also require human cadavers for dissection to update their dissecting skills. It helps the student to learn topographic localization of organs in the body. The anatomists in most of the medical institutions feel the shortage of cadavers for imparting training to medical students. Hence, there is a strong need to promulgate the message to common masses to donate their bodies after death which can be preserved by embalming and later can be used for teaching and research purposes.
If a body for donation is brought without a living will, the relatives have to give an undertaking (as per orders of Hon’ble Rajasthan High Court).
A person in his life can express his will in writing (form can be downloaded) and can convince his next kith and kin that after death his body to be donated. The dead body should be transported within 3-5 hrs to the DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY of the SMS MEDICAL COLLEGE, JAIPUR. In case of any difficulty in transportation, SMS HOSPITAL will provide the vehicle for the same from inquiry of SMSMC, JAIPUR (phone no. 014125182220).
There are certain conditions (given in donation form) in which body donation can not be accepted. Thus the final and sole discretion of accepting the body will be of the department of anatomy.
If the body is brought during non-working hours, it can be kept in cold chamber. The facility is provided (free of cost) by JAGRATI SANSTHAN in JAIPUR. MOBILE NO. 9829053031, 9314253031, 9314353046.
Phone Numbers S.M.S. Medical College Jaipur: 0141- 2560291 Ex 222,422
BODY DONATION COMMITTEE:
1. Dr. Chandrakala Agarwal (Prof & Head Anatomy Dept.) 9460779840, 9414034446
2. Dr. Dhiraj Saxena ( Senior Prof. & Nominated Committee member), 9414241375
3. Dr. Sumit Babuta (Asst. Prof. & Nominated Committee member), 9829815991
2) Providing Embalming facilities for transportation of bodies.
3) Conduction of hands on workshops in clinical subjects.
4) Organising exhibitions for the general public to increase awareness about the human body and promote body donation.