Department Of Nephrology
Facilities in Our Department
· Outpatient services are provided from Monday to Saturday.
· 60 teaching and 44 service bed inpatient ward with almost 100% occupancy.
· Patients suffering from acute and chronic kidney diseases are managed.
· Dedicated hemodialysis unit with 25 modern machines with latest R.O. system for round the clock hemodialysis. Approximately 900 hemodialysis are done month. Separate machines for patients infected with Hepatitis B & C and RVD + ve patients .
· Facility for plasmapharesis.
· Facility for continuous renal replacement therapy.
· Acute peritoneal dialysis unit consist of 18 beds which is one of the largest providing round the clock peritoneal dialysis services.
· Dedicated CAPD care facility .
· Interventional nephrology services include central venous catheterization, permcath insertion, ultrasound guided renal biopsy, CAPD catheter insertion and AV fistula creation in conjunction with Dept of vascular surgery.
We also have HLA and Cross match facility, Immunofloroscence study facility in conjunction with Dept of Pathology.
· Approximately 60-70 kidney transplants are done every year in conjunction with dept of Urology. So far 550 kidney transplantations has been done including 40 cadaveric donors. In the coming future the department also plans to perform ABO incompatible transplantation, kidney paired donation and multi organ transplantation.
The department will have its own HLA laboratory in near future.
SMS Hospital also has separate section for pediatric nephrology as well
The department provides all aspects of nephrology care. Over 550 renal transplants including 40 cadaveric transplantations have been performed at SMS Hospital with more than 90% one year survival which is equivalent to results of highest degree. The department provides free dialysis services to all.
The department is actively involved in research with publications in all leading International and National journals and presentation at various international conferences.
Department conducted various national conferences of Nephrology which was National and Zonal conference of ISN (Thrice) and ISOT (Twice).
Many of the teachers received training of medical education at Karmasar, Gujarat.
The department has taken initiative to provide free dialysis facility to all and this suggestion was given to state government in 2011. This was taken by the state government and subsequently started by the central government as well.
The department had suggested the state government to provide costly renal medicines to the poor patients under BSBY Scheme.
The department also suggested the state government for free transplantation to poor population. under BSBY scheme. Around 80 % of patients have received free transplantation and remaining also at economical cost