Department of Plastic Surgery
1. AESTHETIC/ COSMETIC SURGERY
The rapid acceptance by the public of cosmetic surgery confirms its value and the need for it. Cosmetic surgery covers a wide variety of procedures from head to toe. The number of aesthetic surgery performed has steadily increased.
Aesthetic / Cosmetic Surgery in India has undergone a radical change over the last decade. Even since beauty queens from India (Refer Ashwarya Rai and SushmitaSen) have started winning international beauty pagents, the number of patients demanding Cosmetic Surgery in India is rapidly climbing. There was a time when rich Indians looked towards the west for Cosmetic Surgery. This trend is now reversing and a large number of people from the west are coming to India for Cosmetic Surgery where it can be done for fraction of what it costs in this country. Operations as shown are routinely being done in our hospital.
- Rhinoplasty (Nose correction)
- Liposuction and body contouring
- Male breast reduction (Gynaecomastia correction)
- Tummy tuck/ Abdominoplasty
- Breast - Augmentation/ Reduction/ Lift (Mastopexy)
- Hair restoration surgery (Hair transplantation)
- Eye bag surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- Fat grafting (Lipo injection)
- Dimple creation
- Surgery for facial scars, acne marks/ white patches
- Lip augmentation /reduction
- Face lift (Rhytidectomy)
- Endoscopic aesthetic surgery
- Photo rejuvenation
- Botox injections
RHINOPLASTY (NOSE CORRECTION)
One of the most common cosmetic surgery procedure done for improving the shape of nose. It is done to reduce or increase the size of nose. Correction of hump, crocked nose and correction of wide nose.
Surgery for scalp Reconstruction
LIPOSUCTION AND BODY CONTOURING
Liposuction continues to the most common plastic surgery procedure all over the world, and also in India. Many people are concerned about unwanted fat deposits that are present despite dieting, exercise and treatments developed to decrease cellulite. Liposuction is a technique in which high-pressure vacuum suction is used to remove fat cells. This is primarily a treatment for contouring the body by removal of unwanted fat deposits.
TUMMY TUCK/ ABDOMINOPLASTY
Flattens abdomen by removing excess fat and skin and tightening abdominal muscles. It can be combined with liposuction to enhance the body contour.
MALE BREAST SURGERY
It is done to enlarge the size of breasts by using implants (usually silicon gel implants). Can significantly enhance appearance and self confidence of a person.
BREAST REDUCTION & BREAST LIFT (MASTOPEXY)
To reduce the size of large breasts without affecting normal breast functions. Raises and reshapes large breasts by removing excess skin and repositioning the nipples. Can significantly alleviate symptoms due to large sized breast such as back and neck pain, rashes under the breast apart from improvement in the shape.
HAIR RESTORATION SURGERY (HAIR TRANSPLANTATION)
It is day care procedure of few hours, usually done under local anaesthesia with sedation. Patient’s own hair are used to fill in bald areas. Hair appear few months after surgery, which are permanent. May require more than one sitting for adequate hair replacement.
EYE BAG SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY)
It is a cosmetic surgery procedure to remove loose skin along with fat and muscle from the upper and lower eyelid corrects drooping upper eyelids and puffy bags below the eyes giving a more youthful look.
Surgical procedure to improve sagging facial skin, jowls and loose neck skin by removing excess fat & skin and tightening facial muscles. Most of the patients are of age group 40-60. Best candidates for face lift are those with sagging skin of face and neck but skin still has some elasticity and well defined bone structure can make patient look younger and fresher but cannot stop aging process.
2. RECONSTRUCTIVE MICROSURGERY
2. Reconstructive surgery
Reconstructive microsurgery is the other area of Plastic Surgery where we have taken long strides. Sms plastic surgery can boast of being the leading centre in the whole of north India for replantation surgery for finger, hand or limb amputations. Besides this complex reconstructions for major tissue losses either due to trauma or cancer is mostly done by advanced microsurgical techniques.
- Mandible Reconstruction
- Microvascular free tissue transfers (skin, muscle, bone, composite)
- Reanimation for facial palsy
- Vascular Malformation
- Replantation and revascularization
- Reconstruction of peripheral nerve and brachial plexus injuries
- Recanalisation of vas, fallopian tubes &vasoepididyma anastomosis for infertility
· PERIPHERAL NERVE REPAIR:
The third major superspeciality of Plastic Surgery i.e. craniofacial surgery is as advanced as cosmetic and reconstructive microsurgery. We do more than 300 operations on children with clefts of lip and palate every year. Reconstruction of craniofacial soft tissue and bony injuries (bottom left) is done using advanced bone fixation techniques. Major facial vascular malformations (top right) are managed by preoperative embolisation followed by surgical excision). Other complex faciomaxillary reconstructions are being routinely done.
- Cleft lip and palate and other facial clefts and deformities
- Craniofacial Surgery (Craniosynostosis&Hypertelorism)
- Skull base surgery
- Head and neck tumors
- Orthognathic surgery
Head and neck tumors
4. EMERGENCY PLASTIC SURGERY
- Craniomaxillofacial injuries
- Extremity trauma with compound injuries/ Hand Injuries
- Revascularization,Replantation of digits, ear, scalp & external genitalia
Extremity trauma with compound injuries
5. HAND SURGERY
- Complex Hand injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (keyhole and Endoscopic)
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Joint reconstruction
- Tendon transfers
- Toe transfers/ Pollicization
- Congenital hand anomalies
- Soft tissue arthritis tumors
- Brachial Plexus Injuries
- Surgery for rheumatoid
6. CONGENITAL AND ACQUIRED DEFECTS OF TRUNK AND GENITALIA
- Gender reassignment surgery
- Vaginal reconstruction
- Penile Reconstruction
- Hypospadias and epispadias
- Chest and abdominal wall reconstruction
- Hairy naevus
- Pressure sore
7. BURN SURGERY
- Acute burn management
- Reconstruction of post burn sequelae
COMMUNITY OUTREACH ACTIVITIES.
Department of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery is actively involved in social services. It organizes routinely medical camps in remote areas of the country to provide free medical consultation and treatment.
SMILE TRAIN PROJECT
The Department is affiliated with Smile Train Inc. of USA (A non-government charity) and runs the Smile Train Cleft Project in which cleft lip and cleft palate patients are treated free of cost at SMS Hospital.